Health & Safety Superintendent
- Job ID: 1375EG
- Location: Southern Africa
- Commodity: Nickel
- Date Posted: March 14, 2016
- Closing Date: April 15, 2016
Ambatovy Nickel Cobalt operations in Madagascar (a Sherritt International operation) is currently searching for a highly experienced French Speaking Health and Safety (H&S) Superintendent. Reporting to the Mine H&S Manager the incumbent will be responsible for providing the necessary guidance, expertise and support to the operational and contractor teams, ensuring all activities are performed in accordance with the Ambatovy Health and Safety Management standards and procedures.
Globe 24-7 in partnership with Ambatovy, is working together to source experienced and qualified talent for their existing world class lateritic nickel processing facilities and mining operation in Madagascar. Ambatovy is committed to create lasting prosperity for all stakeholders and contribute significantly to sustainable development in Madagascar.
The person will provide guidance and feedback to management on best practices to be implemented in order to prevent fatalities and disabling injuries to employees, whilst achieving World Class Safety performance.
Responsibilities will include:
- Contribute and participate in the practical implementation of Health and Safety training initiatives, whilst coaching and mentoring the mine H&S team
- Provide management with continuous feedback on risks, issues and concerns derived from H&S audits, inspections and assessments
- Provide recommendations for appropriate corrective actions or strategies to be implemented to ensure the site operates with best in class H&S processes and systems
- Work closely with Operations, Maintenance and other services, to assist Ambatovy on its journey towards world class Health & Safety performance
- Create a climate where team members take responsibility for their own and other areas, whilst providing feedback and ideas on how to achieve organisational goals and improve performance in a safe way.
- Identify, suggest and participate in the development of new H&S standards and training programs, whilst monitoring implementation of the H&S framework
- Participate (when necessary) in serious and critical incident investigations to support line management in identifying root causes and contributing factors. Also participate in generating and implementing corrective measures to prevent the recurrence of similar incidents
- Ensure proper record keeping and reporting on H&S matters
The successful person will have:
- A diploma or degree in Health and/or Safety and/or Environment
- 8 or more years experience in HSE
- Demonstrated capability in developing and implementing Health and Safety standards, conducting H&S inspections and audits as well as developing an H&S culture
- Ability to provide key strategic and tactical leadership to the mine management teams
- Demonstrate a solid track record in achieving World Class H&S performance leading a team of Health & Safety professionals
- Previous experience in Africa or developing countries where technical knowledge transfer has successfully occurred through training, mentoring and coaching the local workforce
- Fluent in English and conversational French desirable
The position offers a competitive remuneration package and is available on a 7/3 rotational status. Lodgings are modern and secure with a pool, gym, etc. Accommodations are first class.
To apply directly please submit your resume, preferably as a Microsoft Word document, via the form below: