Senior Mine Production Engineer
- Job ID: 2346ES
- Location: Southern Africa
- Commodity: Nickel
- Date Posted: March 29, 2016
- Closing Date: April 29, 2016
Ambatovy Nickel Cobalt operations in Madagascar is currently searching for a Senior Mine Production Engineer to manage short term planning activities within the Technical Services Section, with effective training and development of engineering staff.
Globe 24-7 in partnership with Ambatovy, is working together to source experienced and qualified talent for their existing world class lateritic nickel processing facilities and mining operation in Madagascar. Ambatovy is committed to create lasting prosperity for all stakeholders and contribute significantly to sustainable development in Madagascar.
Reporting to the Mine Engineering Superintendent, the Senior Production Engineer is primarily accountable to ensure Mine Operations has a clear and understood plan to execute.
This person is also responsible for producing comprehensive short term planning and also for the training and development of production engineering staff involved in medium and short term planning
Responsibilities will include
- Short term planning and production activities
- Effective training and development
- Communicate new changes, alterations, additions and decisions to the appropriate target populations at the mine.
- Oversee blending activities, foresee operational risks and opportunities and react (with Operations) to adjust production accordingly.
- Develop short interval control tools for mine operations and provide regular (minimum daily) feedback to performance.
- Develop consistent action between all planning activities, with appropriate and robust methodologies, reporting standards etc.
- Supervise, mentor and train engineers within the to support mine operations.
- Coordinate the training and/ or reinforcement of the ability of the personnel to ensure their performance in the structural training system.
- Strive to develop agreed national employees to a competency level capable of replacing expatriate staff, apply safety and work procedures, policies and good practices.
- Ensure operational and maintenance constraints are considered in the upstream planning cycle.
- Ensure and support accurate and timely communication between mine operations and OPP.
- Communicate effectively with all parties involved to provide robust planning under the appropriate format to all parties
- Be aware, understand, communicate and comply with the Ambatovy Health, Safety, Environment and Quality (HSEQ) Policies and associated documentation.
- Ensure budgets provide for adequate resourcing to enable HSEQ accountability.
- Participate in audits and inspections, as well as support the management of non-conformances, incident and actions as required.
- Drive implementation of agreed HSEQ improvement initiatives.
- Provide direction in an emergency situation.
- General environmental duty not to carry out any activity that causes or is likely to cause environmental harm.
Requirements (Skills, Experience and Qualifications)
Skills: technical, management, organization
- Advanced knowledge of mine design, scheduling and optimization software, particularly Surpac.
- Advanced knowledge of best practice standards in an open pit mine.
- Advanced knowledge of GPS based fleet management systems.
- Robust knowledge mining fleet operations and maintenance capabilities.
- Demonstrated success in business improvement.
- Success in ‘selling ideas’, challenging the status quo and promoting change.
- Demonstrated success in coaching other expats and nationals.
- Exposure to the challenges of operating in remote sites, developing countries and the development of national talent.
- Sound knowledge of business imperatives and financial aspects of mining, including budget development, project evaluation and investment analysis.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrate ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Fluent in English. Some French is a plus.
- Minimum 10 years post graduate industry experience in open pit operations.
- Experience with high rainfall tropical deposits would be an advantage.
Qualifications: education, complementary training (s)
- Tertiary qualification in Mining Engineering or Geology, from a recognized university.
- Further advanced qualifications in mining, mineral economics, management or other related areas will be well regarded.
The position offers a competitive remuneration package and is available on a 7/3 rotational status. Lodgings are modern and secure with a pool, gym, etc. Accommodations are first class.
Please apply directly by submitting your resume, preferably as a Microsoft Word document.